Lecture丨You are so good, but still no offer——Executive Director of Cube Design Qiu Huikang
On November 18th, 2015 (Wednesday) at 19:00, Mr. Qiu Huikang was a guest at the Guanzhu·Micro Classroom hosted by Shenzhen Guanzhu Building Development Exchange Center. This publicity lecture hall was in the WeChat group of Guanzhu Micro-Classroom with voice + map + The form of the combination of texts is shared with everyone. The theme of this lecture: about the architect profession - you are so good but still no offer.
2015 is the winter of the construction industry. Many construction industries are facing a severe test. Is this period the worst era for recent graduates? The university has been studying hard for five years. When it comes to graduation, it is cold winter. Is graduation equal to unemployment? How to stand out in this talented society and win a good offer, how to stay in the era of survival of the fittest. It is a question we deserve to think about.
Qiu Huikang Mr.Qiu ARCHITECT
Shenzhen Cube Architecture DesigningConsultants LTD. Executive Director, Chief Architect (Shenzhen Cube Architectural Design Consultant Co., Ltd.)
Shenzhen Cube Architecture Design OfficeLTD. Founding Partner, Chief Architect (Shenzhen Cooper Architectural Design Office Co., Ltd.)
Former Senior Architect of Hong Kong Huayi Design Consultant Co., Ltd., Deputy Manager of Hong Kong Company
Shenzhen City Planning and Land Commission
National First Class Registered Architect / Senior Architect
[teaching / research background]
In 2004, in the "New Real Estate" magazine in Beijing, the "China's Most Influential Architect 100" ranked 39th;
In 2009, he won the first “Top Ten Young Architects” in Shenzhen Survey and Design Industry;
With deep insight into the development of the city and industry, in more than 20 years of design practice, the team is committed to creatively exploring system solutions to achieve a win-win situation for cities, customers and users;
Architecture is a kind of professional? Architect is what kind of career?
As an architect, the architectural design industry is very compatible with the profession. In China and the West, the main way of architectural design work is to go to the architectural design office. After many years, I feel that architecture major is both a professional study and a miscellaneous class. Many of these processes need to be experienced. After we have completed the basics of professional studies at the university, we will be a new beginning to truly learn from experience and experience. Literally speaking, architecture is the study of architectural design and how to design architecture. The experience gained from my own years of work experience is that architecture is more about the study of human beings, and how to adapt to the dialogue between people and the living environment. From this perspective, it is not only a specialist, but also a meta-discipline that is more inclined to quality education, such as descriptive geometry, sketching, watercolor, history, structure, materials, construction, economy, etc. Very diverse.
As an architect, the architectural design industry is very compatible with the profession. In China and the West, the main way of architectural design work is to go to the architectural design office. After many years, I feel that architecture major is both a professional study and a miscellaneous class. Many of these processes need to be experienced. After we have completed the basics of professional studies at the university, we will be a new beginning to truly learn from experience and experience.
建筑设计职业的几个特点：Several characteristics of the architectural design profession:
(1) The designer's work is closely related to everyone. It is not the relationship between things and things. The relationship between people and things is largely the relationship between people. The basic conditions of design and the progress of design occur between people. This industry is related to people and related to people's psychological implications. Regardless of the large design organization or the small office, our leading work is closely related to the actual designer.
(2) The architectural design industry is not a profiteering industry. What happened in the Chinese construction market before, it makes people feel that it is easy for an architect to find a job, easy to earn money, and high income. This is only what happens under certain historical conditions. For example, students from the Department of Architecture in Canada are more difficult to find jobs, and the starting salary for new jobs is also lower. Also don't confuse the architects with the bosses of the architectural design firm. It can be said that this is two professions and needs to be distinguished.
(3) The architect profession is a sentimental career that will always give you a lot of freshness. To do this job requires a spirit of perseverance, as Belle has said: "If an architect never jumps out of bed at three in the morning and conceives the experience of solving the problem, he says The last real architect. "This is quite interesting.
Of course, there is a very special and very traditional “apprenticeship” in the construction industry, such as Lloyd Wright's workshop in the desert, which has trained many students. Those students may not be architects, maybe they don't have any background and foundation, but they can feel architecture in Wright's work and contact, because it is actually a very deep, demanding, and practically practical one. Door discipline. Some architects, such as Le Corbusier, have worked in Behrens for a long time; when Mies leads students to study, not only the teacher is standing on it, the students are listening below, and more learning is in person. Cooperation, and the process of treating the affairs together. We got stuck, and now many students choose to go to OMA, go to BIG, go to Zaha, go to work, and study after graduation. I think this is the profession of our industry.
(4) Architects are definitely not waiting to be embraced by others. They are people who want to respect their profession from the heart.
I graduated, what can I do? What should I do?
It varies from person to person. If you have an ideal, you must implement it in a planned way, and you should not be restricted by what you have learned.
The first is to be an independent person who can support himself and live with dignity.
1. Can't stop learning. Although we have learned a lot of book knowledge and software in school, we should learn from the society when we step into the society, learn skills, learn in a new environment, and find a teacher that suits you. Three people must have my teacher.
2. You can't stop observing. You should find a suitable way of working and communication. Start with a familiar, convenient place, and an interesting part, and slowly gather the center to your own interests.
3. Find your own team, make friends with them, and build your own circle of friends.
From the beginning of entering the society, individuals must do the above three things very practically.
Some people say that the architect's prime time is from the age of forty-five, because someone will start listening to you and will have a fair evaluation of you. I cherish my current stage. However, I would also like to tell you that in the field of art and science, the most creative and creative age group is around 30 years old, such as Turing, Einstein, please cherish.
The world is so exciting, the key is what you want?
Ask yourself what can bring you the greatest happiness. Many people who graduated from architecture are not all engaged in design work, but they have found what they should do.
Architecture is a good subject, and it has a lifelong influence on people. It is very worth learning.
What changes are taking place in our industry environment?
I will first provide a set of data: from 2008 to 2014, in six years, the national architectural design staff has increased from more than 600,000 to 1.62 million; the architectural design group has expanded from more than 8,500 to more than 12,000; The number of design firms increased from more than 1,400 to more than 3,200, but the contract value of the architectural design industry in 2014 shrank to 67.68% in 2013.
This reflects the current state of the industry. But don't be pessimistic, because the phenomenon of explosive growth in the previous industry is abnormal, it is a rare disaster in the millennium, and now it may be really normal. For example, there used to be a 6 million square meter project to make more than 300 faces with a face, a facade, and a height building. That's not design. If it's a responsible designer, you should say "no" to this phenomenon.
Perhaps the era of the existence value of this industry has just begun. The main difference is that the era of industry development in our industry that used “quantity” to drive revenue growth is gone, and the corresponding game rules should change. This "quantity" is gone, but why do we say that what we have to do in the industry really starts? For example, in Canada, there is a street with uniform retreat, building height and other restrictions. Whether it is unified development or one design and construction, there is an unwritten rule that no one building is allowed within 200 meters. Allow the same facade. So I said that the era of "differentiation" to measure our work is coming, and many things are waiting for us to do. You don't have to worry, there will be opportunities.
The working mode of conventional routine-style firms has changed. Some foreign firms have a new working model in which the architect first discovers valuable plots, then designs and studies the feasibility schemes, and then finds the owner of the land to communicate, how to improve the value of the plots, Finally, find the investors together with them to promote the cooperative development of the project.
Architect is a job or a career?
If we love, the architect is a job and a career, it is our life.
The responsibility and persistence of professional representatives are related to tactics; the career is a higher level strategy, which is faith and cannot be shaken. There are differences between the two, but they are also ways to bring us happiness.
What kind of students do we like?Graduates of architecture are welcome to apply for a job. Our requirements are:
1. "Face Score is high." Non-natural beauty, but pay attention to personal image, from which you can reveal that you have requirements for yourself, on behalf of doing things seriously, have an attitude.
2. Have thinking. Ask more questions why, have their own objective standards, know how to criticize, have a rational research spirit, and have the courage to continue to fight and defeat.
3. Smart. Refers to humility, ability to learn from people around, and strong learning ability. It's not what you are going to do now, but what you can learn quickly as needed.
4. Student cadres. It means you have passion, enthusiasm and management ability.
What you really need to talk about is courage and kindness. It is a must for architects and the driving force behind the ideal of creating the world.
The talent is the ability to create rational thinking and emotional at the same time both of.
All roads lead to Rome, and there are people who are willing to do so. Inspired by the example of Tadao Ando, Foster, and Koolhaas, there is a willingness to succeed.
In the cubic company, there are two sentences.
"We have to persist and stick to an opportunity to let ourselves bloom."
"We want to be the one who stands on the shoulders of the giants."
I believe that after hard work, I can be successful with confidence and persistence.
(The content of the class is compiled by the teacher of the building micro-classroom)
Viewing and micro-class public welfare lecture hall sharing exchange moments (select part of the content)